Daily Insurance Industry News
 
 
Daily Insurance Industry News
Saturday 17th of November 2018
January 29, 2011

Aviva’s wormery impresses Clean City judges

by Gill Montia

Story link: Aviva’s wormery impresses Clean City judges

Aviva’s wormery impresses Clean City judges

Aviva has won the Chairman’s Cup in the City of London Clean City Awards, for the second time.

The award is in recognition of best practice in waste management at the group’s head office, situated at 1 Undershaft, EC3.

A key factor that impressed the judges was a wormery that is used to manage Aviva’s food waste, some of which is also sent to a local centre to be composted and at the same time generate electricity.

Various other recycling measures have resulted in an overall recycle rate of 88% at the headquarters, with the remaining 12% processed into biofuels, and no waste sent to landfill.

The insurer’s UK head of corporate responsibility, Heather Smith, comments: “We are totally focussed on reducing, reusing and recycling our waste and will continue to embrace new initiatives that will lessen our carbon footprint.”

She adds: “None of this could be done without the great support from our staff, who have fully embraced the challenge to continually reduce our carbon footprint and our impact on the environment.”

 

News posted:



Related stories to Aviva’s wormery impresses Clean City judges: