Daily Insurance Industry News
Daily Insurance Industry News
Monday 19th of February 2018
November 17, 2010

ABI advice for Cornwall’s flood victims

by Gill Montia

Story link: ABI advice for Cornwall’s flood victims

Following heavy rainfall in Cornwall, the Association of British Insurers (ABI) has issued the following advice for people who have been flooded:

Household, business and comprehensive motor insurance policies cover flood damage.

Most home insurance policies will cover the cost of alternative accommodation (up to a specified limit) if you need to move out of your home while it is being repaired.

If you have been flooded contact your insurer for advice. Most offer 24-emergency helpline services to arrange for damage to be inspected and repairs to be carried out as soon as possible.

If necessary, arrange for temporary repairs to be carried out to stop any damage worsening. Keep receipts, as these will be needed for any insurance claim.

Check if it is safe to use electricity, gas and water supplies.

Once flood water recedes, disinfect floors and furnishing. Where practical, leave doors, windows, and cupboards open. Where possible, keep rooms heated.

Do not be in a rush to redecorate, as it can take some months for a property to fully dry out. Your home insurer can give you advice

Do not do anything that puts you or your family at risk.

The ABI’s director of general insurance and health, Nick Starling, adds: “Insurers know how traumatic and disruptive flooding can be. Their first priority will be to ensure that every claim is dealt with as quickly as possible, and they will be doing everything possible to help their customers recover.”

According to a BBC report, St Blazey, St Austell and Lostwithiel are the worst affected areas, with water several feet deep in some places.


News posted:

Related stories to ABI advice for Cornwall’s flood victims: