M&S Pet Insurance warns of summer hazards
by David Masters
Story link: M&S Pet Insurance warns of summer hazards
Summer is a dangerous time of year for dogs, M&S Pet insurance has warned.
Despite this summer’s disappointing weather, dogs have continued to suffer seasonal ailments, M&S Money said, citing the popularity of its 24-hour Vetfone advice line.
Cases dealt with by the advice line this summer include a dog who ate a whole pack of raw sausages its owner had intended to barbecue, and a bull terrier puppy who swallowed a huge frog while out on a walk.
“It’s lovely for pets and their owners to enjoy being out and about during the summer, but they need to be aware of hidden dangers, which although rare, do cause real problems,” said Clare Scantlebury, Vetfone’s deputy operations manager.
Other summer dangers to dogs include toxic algal blooms in stagnant ponds, and early fallen conkers, which are poisonous.
In related news, People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals recently launched a campaign highlighting the dangers of leaving dogs in hot cars.